Let's take a look around the web for classic movie talk, resources and blog posts.
- Another Old Movie Blog has a lovely tribute to actor Martin Milner ("Route 66" and "Adam-12") who died this week.
- The William Wellman Blogthon is in full swing. Check it out at Now Voyaging.
- Lucille Ball's life will take another turn at the movies. This time Cate Blanchett will play the redhead from "I Love Lucy."
- Read these reviews of previous Lucy biopics. Lucy and Desi: Before the Laughter (1991). Lucy, A Woman Wronged (2003).
- The New York Times critic says the 2003 film, Lucy, a Woman Wronged "illustrates the pitfall underlying American culture's narcissistic obsession with childhood icons: in the surfeit of show business biographies, it takes a very big star to hold viewers' attention. Yet the bigger the star, the harder it is to get the movie biography right. "
- Yours truly joined the TCMParty on Twitter for two consecutive movies. All you do is a watch a film that is playing on Turner Classic Movies along with hundreds of other people and make observations on your Twitter feed with the hashtag #TCMParty. It's a thrill to participate and make new friends. I don't have TCM on TV, so I simply popped in the DVD at the appointed time. Go to the TCMParty tumblr page for details. (They are not affiliated with TCM, by the way. They are fans.)
- In a twist of the story, Vintage Cameo shares the plot of Singin' in the Rain from the perspective of the villain - Lina Lamont. It reminds me of all the twisted fairy tales I enjoyed as a child - like the wolf's point of view of the 3 Little Pigs.
- Daddy Long Legs is a popular Fred Astaire film and novel. Now it's a play, a musical at the Davenport Theatre, Off-Broadway. Opens this month.
See the other Toast of the Town posts by clicking here.