Everything you need for a sword-and-sandal epic of the mid-20th century -
- Big budget.
- Location shooting with lots of dirt and fighting.
- At least one star from the UK
- Warriors or slaves in short tunics.
- Historical accounts fictionalized.
- A stirring musical score.
Alexander the Great (1956) has it all.
You know what? It doesn't matter.
The intensity, the volatile nature of Burton makes him a dangerous man. You quake in your sandals when he snarls at someone. He's not bluffing.
Watch this film for the tension, the fights, the spectacle. Read a book for the history.
- LIFE Magazine features Burton and Alexander the Great in the November 14, 1955 issue here: "Boy Who Took the World."
- Alexander the Great is available on DVD at Amazon.