With a Song in My Heart


I recently visited a college for business purposes. On the walls were plaques displaying various campus sororities and fraternities. I must have had West Side Story on the brain.

Out of the vast number of Greek societies listed, I zeroed in on the two plaques displaying the Sharks and the Jets. I had to take pictures.



Suddenly, I found myself smiling and involuntarily singing some of Stephen Sondheim's lyrics from the movie (even though the lyricist claims to be embarrassed by them): "When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way."

Suddenly, I needed to break into Jerome Robbins' finger snaps and pirouettes. (You'll be happy to know that I composed myself before that happened.) But I'd have to say that this unexpected reminder of one of the great films of Hollywood, really brightened my day.

Do classic movies ever interrupt your life when they are the farthest thing from your mind? Isn't it fun when that happens?

2 Comments:

  1. I'm still laughing at the Sharks and the Jets, Java! I am a West Side Story girl from way back, all the way back to its first showing in theatres. Your experience reminds me of when I was a kid, and loving West Side Story in an obsessive kind of way. My brother and I were a team playing some kind of word game with my parents. We had to finish phrases for each other. He gave me "sweet and ..." and obviously expected me to say "sour". But oh no ... in true WSS lover fashion, I said "sweet and sharp" from the line given by Riff when he tells the guys to dress up for the dance at the gym. My brother was so mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love that story! Thank you, ClassicBecky!

      Delete

Thanks for your contribution to Java's Journey.

 

About Java

"Java's Journey: A really fun, informative well-written blog that explores all of the things - and I mean all - I love about classic films."-- Flick Chick of A Person In The Dark Email: java-rush@hotmail.com

JOIN JAVA'S JOURNEY

Blog Archive

Writer's Block Doesn't Stand a Chance

http://javabeanrush.blogspot.com/2015/04/100ClassicMovieBlogPostIdeas.html